Hastelloy C276, known by its UNS N10276 designation, is a versatile and highly sought-after nickel-molybdenum-chromium alloy. In this comprehensive guide, we will delve into its chemical composition, explore its remarkable properties, and shed light on its wide range of applications across various industries. Additionally, we will discuss its exceptional resistance to corrosion, and the essential aspects of fabrication and heat treatment.
Hastelloy C276 Chemical Composition:
Hastelloy C276 Physical Properties:
|Density||8.89 g/cm³||0.321 lb/in³|
Hastelloy C276 Mechanical Properties:
|Tensile strength (@thickness 4.80-25.4 mm, 538°C/@thickness 0.189-1.00 in, 1000°F)||601.2 MPa||87200 psi|
|Yield strength (0.2% offset, @thickness 2.40 mm, 427°C/@thickness 0.0945 in, 801°F)||204.8 MPa||29700 psi|
|Elastic modulus (RT)||205 GPa||29700 ksi|
|Elongation at break (in 50.8 mm, @thickness 1.60-4.70 mm, 204°C/@thickness 0.0630-0.185 in, 399°F)||56%||56%|
|Hardness, Rockwell B (plate)||87||87|
Hastelloy C276 Thermal Properties:
|Thermal expansion co-efficient (@24-93°C/75.2-199°F)||11.2 µm/m°C||6.22 µin/in°F|
|Thermal conductivity (-168 °C)||7.20 W/mK||50.0 BTU in/hr.ft².°F|
Equivalent materials to Hastelloy C276:
|ASTM B366||ASTM B574||ASTM B622||ASTM F467||DIN 2.4819|
|ASTM B575||ASTM B626||ASTM B619||ASTM F468|
Hastelloy C276 primarily consists of the following key elements:
- Nickel (Ni): The primary component, providing a strong base for the alloy’s exceptional performance.
- Molybdenum (Mo): Enhances corrosion resistance, particularly in reducing environments.
- Chromium (Cr): Contributes to the alloy’s resistance to oxidizing agents like chlorides and oxidizing acids.
- Iron (Fe): An essential element, which when present in controlled amounts, maintains the required mechanical properties.
- Tungsten (W) and Cobalt (Co): Elements that further strengthen the alloy and provide stability against crevice corrosion.
Hastelloy C276 boasts several remarkable properties that make it an ideal choice for challenging environments:
- Corrosion Resistance: Its outstanding resistance to a wide range of aggressive media, including strong acids, chlorides, and seawater, sets it apart from conventional alloys.
- High Temperature Resistance: The alloy retains its mechanical strength and integrity even at elevated temperatures, making it suitable for high-temperature applications.
- Excellent Fabricability: Hastelloy C276 can be easily formed, welded, and machined, providing flexibility during fabrication processes.
- Good Mechanical Properties: The alloy exhibits excellent tensile and impact strength, further enhancing its suitability for various industrial applications.
Due to its exceptional properties, Hastelloy C276 finds applications in diverse industries, including:
- Chemical Processing: It is extensively used in handling corrosive chemicals and acidic solutions.
- Petrochemical Industry: The alloy is employed in reactor vessels, heat exchangers, and other equipment exposed to aggressive media.
- Oil and Gas: In offshore drilling environments and sour gas wells, Hastelloy C276 ensures reliable performance.
- Pollution Control: It plays a vital role in the construction of flue gas desulfurization systems and other pollution control equipment.
- Pharmaceutical and Pulp & Paper: Its corrosion resistance makes it valuable in pharmaceutical production and pulp and paper processing.
Resistance to Corrosion:
Hastelloy C276 stands out for its exceptional resistance to both uniform and localized corrosion. It maintains its integrity in aggressive environments, where other materials might fail. The alloy’s resistance to pitting, crevice corrosion, and stress corrosion cracking makes it highly reliable, especially in chloride-rich conditions.
Fabrication and Heat Treatment:
Hastelloy C276 offers ease of fabrication, allowing it to be formed into various shapes using standard techniques. Weldability is excellent, and the alloy can be joined using common welding processes like TIG and MIG welding. To achieve the desired properties, post-weld heat treatment is recommended.
Hastelloy C276 is a remarkable nickel-based alloy that excels in demanding environments, thanks to its exceptional properties and resistance to corrosion. Its wide range of applications across industries underscores its versatility and reliability. Whether in chemical processing, petrochemicals, or other challenging settings, Hastelloy C276 Pipe continues to prove its worth, ensuring the integrity and longevity of critical equipment. Contact Now for more information
Learn More: Erw vs Spiral Pipe : Difference